Monday, October 20, 2008

Birth letter from doula Kathy

October 10, 2003

Dearest Isabella,

My name is Kathy Parry.  I was your mommy’s Doula for your birth.  A Doula is a woman who supports a mother through the long and difficult process of delivering a baby.  I am writing you this letter so you will always know just how amazing your birth was.  Your mommy was so ready to meet you during the few days before your birth that she began trying various things to start the labor process, which would bring you into the world.  Even though the medical doctors said you weren’t supposed to be born until the 25th of October, your mommy knew you were both ready to meet each other.
I received the first call from your mommy at 2 o’clock in the morning.  She was already at the hospital, but the midwife wanted her to wait one hour so they could see if this was really it.  The second call from your mommy came at 3 o’clock in the morning, just after the midwife decided that she was definitely in labor.  I arrived at the hospital at 4 o’clock, and your mommy was sitting on a big bouncy ball.  She was quite talkative and very happy.  Not long after I got there, your mommy got into the tub and this made her feel really good.  She stayed there for the next couple of hours with just a couple of breaks to go use the bathroom.  Your daddy was sitting just outside the tub behind her and he helped to keep her laughing and in good spirits.  I put pressure on your mommy’s low back and buttocks to relieve some of the pressure that your head was putting on her pelvis.  We also gave emotional encouragement to your mommy since it is very hard to have a baby all by yourself.  The midwife helped coach mommy when it was time to push – we were all a team, working to support your mommy. 
Before we knew it your head was trying to come out!  You were born with only about 15 minutes of pushing – that’s really fast!  We were all so happy to see you and so proud of your mom for being so strong and courageous.  In the year 2003, 90% of mothers choose to have medication during birth, which numbs the sometimes painful sensations of having a baby.  Your mom was one of the strong 10% that refused any medication.  This way she could feel your every move as you came down her vaginal canal.  Your mom was in total control the whole time and made sure you were born safely and naturally.  What an accomplishment!  I’m so happy I was a part of your amazing birth. 

With Love, Kathy

No comments: